How to activate an ATT iPhone
Do you have a new phone and you’re ready to activate it to your AT&T carrier? Then you’re ready to learn how to activate your iPhone AT&T. The good news is activation is a simple and straightforward process. Whether individuals are wondering how to activate iPhone 6s AT&T, iPhone 7, or iPhone 8, it is the same process for all unlocked phones.
The only reason you should have landed on this page is if you either have an unlocked phone you have not activated yet, or you have AT&T as your carrier. In order to activate wireless device AT&T, you need to have an unlocked phone. This means the phone cannot still be locked with another carrier.
In this article you will learn step by step how to activate AT&T SIM card online and how to use an iPhone without a SIM card.
Before You Start
Before you start the activation process, there are a few things you should know. Go through our checklist before moving forward:
- Double check your phone is indeed unlocked. You can see an AT&T representative to check for you.
- The phone cannot be reported lost or stolen. You can also get that checked by an AT&T representative by providing them the IMEI number.
- If your phone is from another carrier such as Sprint, make sure you get it unlocked before you try to activate it.
Activating Your AT&T iPhone
- Pull up your browser
Visit https://www.att.com/activations/ to activate your phone online.
- Click on Activate Your Device
It may give you two options when you arrive on the landing page. Choose the option on the left.
- Enter Your Wireless Number
This is the number you already have with AT&T or the number that you used on your old phone. You do not need to get a new number when you activate a new phone. However, if you want to change your number, you will need to go into a local AT&T store before you activate the phone.
- Enter your billing zip code.
Make sure this zip code matches up with the one you have on your AT&T account. You can double check by logging into your AT&T account and clicking “Account Settings”.
- Choose “Continue” and follow the instructions on the screen to take the next steps in your activation.
- Find the IMEI number of your iPhone.
The IMEI number is a code made specifically for your device. You can find it on the back of your iPhone’s packaging. If you do not have the original packaging it’s okay! Call #06# to find out your IMEI. You can also head to your settings app, choose “general”, and then “about”, and you will see your IMEI number.
- Enter and Verify your IMEI number.
Once you enter your IMEI number double check that it matches the one listed on the AT&T site with your account.
- Restart your iPhone.
Note: You do not need a SIM card to activate your iPhone, so you can follow the steps described above for how to activate an iPhone without a SIM card. After doing so please verify if you are using the correct ATT APN Settings. We’ve published a guide for programming those configurations in general. Below you find more detailed guides for device specific configurations: